Władysław Jakub Filipkowski
The officer serves the permanent artillery of the Polish Army: Maj (1 V 1919), Lt. Col. (15 VIII 1924), col (1 I 1931), posthumously gen. brig. (28 IX 1994), PS. “Cis”, “Janka”, “The energy”, “Stabbed”.
Ur. 1 May 1892 in Filipów, pow. Suwałki, son of Dominik and Anna née. Łopieńska, from landed gentry families. He graduated in 1909 commercial junior high school in Suwałki, obtaining high school diploma, a w 1909-1914 studied at the Faculty of Law of the University of Lviv, by obtaining a discharge and by 6 semesters at the Faculty of Machines of the Polytechnic School in Lviv. At that time, he was a member of the Riflemen's Association. From 1 VIII 1914 served in the Legions (And a staff battery, then 1 artillery regiment) successively as a commander he acts, platoon, intelligence officer and adjutant of the howitzer dyon, being appointed to the rank of ensign (14 III 1915) and sec. (1 V 1916).
He fought in the Carpathians, in Bukovina and in Volhynia. After the oath crisis from 22 VII 1917 do 1 XI 1918 imprisoned by the Germans, m.in. he was interned in Szczypiorno, and then in Rastatt and Werl. From 5 XI 1918 in WP, first as a clerk at the Artillery Inspectorate in Warsaw, and from 29 XI 1918 adjutant in the General Adjutant of the Commander-in-Chief. From 11 II 1919 commanded the battery in 2 pop, then from 1 XI 1919 do 15 VII 1921 he headed the Second Department of Staff (counterintelligence) Domain. Lviv, in this position “turned out to be an excellent manager” and created “an excellent information and defensive apparatus in this difficult terrain”. From 16 VII 1921 he was in 1 burn successively with the dyon commander, deputy regiment commander from 11 II 1922, and from 21 I 1927 do 15 XII 1935 commander 1 pal. During the May Coup, he replaced the absent regiment commander and decided to support the coup, sending help to Piłsudski. Eventually 1935 took the position of commander of the 1st Artillery Group in Warsaw (artillery and DOK), a 30 III 1936 Deputy II Deputy Minister of Military Affairs – Head of the Army Administration, and for this reason he was occupying from 1 IV 1936 do 15 V 1937 President of the Administrative Council of Państwowe Zakłady Inżynierii in Warsaw. He was also a member of the Supreme Command of the Union of Polish Legionnaires from 24 V 1936, appointed to its composition at the 13th Congress of the Union by its Commander-in-Chief, col. Man husband. In June 1938 became a division infantry commander 16 DP, and in July 1939 he moved to the same position in 1 DPLeg.
While performing this function, he took part in the September campaign, wherein 1 DPLeg. she fought as part of the army “Modlin”. Then at the end of September 1939 he commanded an independent group (the so-called. the group of F). It was composed of forces from the existing Brest crew and a number of smaller units, a 27 IX above her and a few other groups – Col.. deep. Tadeusz Zieleniewski. She fought in the Lublin region until capitulation 2 X. He was captured by the Soviets and transported to Lviv, but he managed to escape from captivity there and get to Otwock, and then to Warsaw. Apparently, he was then expected to be the commander of the District of SZP-ZWZ Kraków. W 1941 he was active in the underground “newsgroup”, established by an activist of the National Party (SN), Tadeusz Kobylański, a composed of representatives of the Supreme Court, PPS and sanation. From 1940 to the end of July 1943 he was an inspector of the Home Army Headquarters for the area of Lviv. He then commanded this post from 1 VIII 1943 do 31 VII 1944. He led the Area forces in progress “storm”, from 30 WE 1944 preparing to reorganize the Area Headquarters into the command of the Corps District No.. WE. In contacts with the Soviet command, with the consent of the Home Army Headquarters, he used the title of general, headed the delegation of the Area Headquarters went 31 VII for talks with gen. M. Żymierski to Zhytomyr, after which he was arrested during the night together with the accompanying officers 2/3 VIII 1944. Then he was held in the central prison in Kiev, and then transferred to the disposal of the counterintelligence services of the 1st Ukrainian Front to Lviv, Rawa Ruska and Trzebuski 22 km north of Rzeszów. 5-6 IX 1944 transported him by plane to the camp in Kharkiv, then he was imprisoned in Ryazan-Diaghilev from 5 I 1946, in Griazowiec from approx 15 VII 1947 and in Brest from 18 X 1947. In November, he was transported to Poland and released in Biała Podlaska. Then he worked at the Glassworks in Pieńsk near Zgorzelec as the administrative director of the steelworks team. He died in Pieńsk 17 April 1950 and was buried in the family grave at the Powązki Cemetery in Warsaw.
He was awarded, among others. Military Virtues 5 at. (1922), 2-fold with the Cross of Valor (1922), The Golden Cross of Merit (1928), Independence Cross (1931), The Order of Polonia Restituta 4 at. (1936), Commander's Cross with the Star of the Order “Crowns of Romania” (1939), Commander's Cross of the Order “Romania's stars” (1937) and medals.
Married to Janina Obiedzińska, who during the occupation was a Home Army soldier in northern Mazovia, PS. “Grabina”. He had sons of John (ur. 1922), a student of the Warsaw University of Technology and a regiment soldier “Tower”, who fell in the last days of the Warsaw Uprising and Andrzej (ur. 1925), a Home Army soldier in northern Mazovia, pS. “Bohdan”, participant in guerrilla fights from 1943, political prisoner 1948-1956.
Orders and decorations
Silver Cross of the War Order of Virtuti Militari (1922)
Officer's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta (1936)
Independence Cross (1931)
Cross of Valor – twice (1922)
Gold Cross of Merit (1928)
Commander's Cross with the Star of the Order “Crowns of Romania” (1939)